MY ENCOUNTER WITH HON. NIMI WALSON-JACK by: Idumange John
Hon. Nimi Walson Jack has my vote
That morning the clouds were murky. It was drizzling and no one could hazard a guess that the womb of heaven would not be opened to let a down pour. As we drove into the Commissioners quarters I missed the road initially and on inquiry managed to trace the residence. I sauntered into the corridors and pushed the bell because I thought the door was locked. I was wrong. A young man came and said the door was opened. I went in straight to the sitting room. Hon. Nimi was on short and a sports jersey. I knew he had just completed his morning exercise – sound mind in a sound body you may say.
He asked me to take a seat and we exchanged pleasantries. I was acutely amazed at his simplicity, his charisma and mien. I sat and asked the erudite lawyer, why he wanted to take a shot at Brick House come 2015. His answer was simple. Rivers State has a governance deficit and he wants to serve the people and deliver good governance.
Hon. Nimi Walson Jack introduced himself as the first lawyer to open a law firm in Bori so some people thought he is from Ogoni. The Kalabari born lawyer parades massive experience both as a public servant and as a private entrepreneur. He said his idea about governance is simple- use the people’s resources to work for them. You allow the people to dictate the pace while you the leader show the direction the people should go. So simple was his analysis of the political economy of Nigeria and Rivers State that I almost regarded him as a political scientist.
His pedigree cannot be doubted and his zeal can be understood. I had had a glimpse of his track-record and was acutely convinced that his experience both as a lawyer, a leader and a public servant had equipped him for the task ahead. His humility and analysis of issues betrayed his wealth of experience. I considered myself proud to be associated with a man who inspires, a man who gives hope to the less-privileged. He is a quintessential leader in all ramifications.
He made one shocking revelation that it is not money that wins elections but the electorate; and those who spend money to buy the electorate end up taking back all the people’s money hence he advised the electorate to shun money politics. Those who play money politics according to him are political entrepreneurs who turn around to pay themselves with the people’s money instead of delivering on quality education, health services, physical infrastructure, human capital development, social welfare and other dividends of democracy. This according to him is the genesis of self-enrichment or corruption.
Hon. Nimi Walson’s idea of politics is that the electorate should be allowed to be ruled by the conscience to vote for candidates of their choice, who can serve them and deliver the dividends of democracy. Therefore, the justification of Nimi’s foray into politics is necessitated by service to the people, re-orienting the youths to create values through handwork, public morality, keep in touch with the people at the grassroots and through meaningful engagement and rural development. The Guber hopeful who will contest on the platform of PDP. While emphasizing service, the pace of industrialization will be accelerated to meet the macroeconomic goals of wealth creation, job creation and poverty reduction.
My encounter with the aspirants made me to conclude that Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack is not seeking power as an end bit as a means to an end. The profound impression I have about his is that:
1. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack is in politics for service to the people of Rivers State
2. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack is imbued with ideological focus with an eye on the long term development of Rivers State.
3. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack seeks to devolve power so the Local Government Councils will exercise sufficient discretion to engineer development.
4. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack seeks the popular mandate as against money politics hence he will establish mechanisms that will enforce zero tolerance of corruption
5. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack is God fearing and will rule with the fear of God through consultation with the people and to implement the peoples preferences
6. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack is poised to improve on existing structures and enable the people to establish ownership of government processes including decision making.
7. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack will evolve a welfare scheme to cater for unemployed youths, the elderly and the physically challenged.
8. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack seeks to place Rivers State on the map of the economically advanced States in the West African Sub-region.
9. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack is propelled by altruism as a signpost of good governance.
10. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack will operate a transparent, accountable and prudent administration where the citizens will have value for money.
11. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack aims to forge stronger ties with the centre to attract more federal government presence.
12. Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack will entrench peace and an investment friendly climate to attract Foreign Direct Investment so Port Harcourt will secure its pride of place as the garden city.
Leadership begins al the conceptual level. Conceptualizing leadership requires vision. Vision must be matched by an appropriate strategy and policies and programmes must be aligned with the overall strategy. Strategy has to be underpinned by the core values of the organization which must be in synch with the needs of the people.
Hon. Nimi Walson-Jack has properly articulated his vision and is ready to run. He has my vote. FROM SAINT:
Special Assistant to the Governor Of Bayelsa State On Research & Social Media +2347035262029